Saturday, May 29, 2010

A tribute to longevity

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Simple enough, right?

But what happens when something is broken, and still working?

Well, this is what happens.



I broke the arm off my glasses about eight months ago falling asleep on the couch. Since the couch and the car are the only two places my glasses ever go, I used a one-armed balancing act for a while.

It worked well enough, but I finally went to see what the optical shop could do about it last month. After 15 minutes of free "lab" work, the arm was reattached. It doesn't collapse, but it stays on my face. Mission accomplished.




This is an oldie that dates back to my BYU days, but has run its course as a goodie.

I noticed a tiny crack in the battery about a year ago and thought nothing of it. About six months ago the crack was painfully obvious. The phone still worked fine, just so long as I kept calls to less than five minutes. Sorta lost that option not too long ago and had to make a change.








And then there's the shoes. Another BYU oldie. That's at least five years boys and girls, maybe more.

These puppies were already on their last legs when I arrived in Yuma. And it didn't take long for the cracks to become holes when they became my everyday work shoes because of the newspaper's dress code.

Seeing how it only rains about 10 hours a year in Yuma, shoes with holes really aren't a problem. They just become too pitiful, even by my low standards.

-----------

There's no good explanation for holding on to Payless brand shoes with holes, cell phones with a 12-hour battery life and eyeglasses with one arm. But there is an obvious explanation:

I'm cheap, and lazy.

5 comments: