We turned up the radio to let Jim Rome join in on our conversation and break the news.
Jerry Sloan. Out.
It's three days later, and I still can't fully wrap my head around it.
It was an event that was inevitably coming in the next year or two but shocking considering the circumstances. A guy who had been the head coach of my team for 23 years steps down in the middle of season. A tough, old-school Hall of Fame pro who demands heart and effort quits in essence at a time when the going is not going so well. A coach who had signed a contract extension just a few days earlier is now somewhere in an Illinois barn tweaking a tractor engine.
So for better or worse, Katie and I had tickets for Friday's game and got to help usher in the Tyrone Corbin era (unlike C.J. Miles and Al Jefferson). At least that's how I'll remember it. For Katie, it was just another chance to see this guy.

I took great pride in being a fan of the team with the longest tenured coach in professional sports. And its crazy to think that within the past six months, the longest tenured coaches in the NFL (Jeff Fischer – Titans) and Major League Baseball (Bobby Cox – Braves) have also left the game. (Bonus points for those of you who can figure out who now owns these honors.)
I don’t believe Sloan wanted to leave Thursday. I don’t believe he just got tired. And I don’t believe this was all Deron Williams' doing either.
As most of these situations tend to be, I believe the truth is somewhere in the middle of all the rumors, speculations, things said and things left unsaid. And at the end of the day, I believe this is a good thing for Sloan, Williams, and the Jazz.
But I'm going to miss Jerry.
Trivia Answer (which I am proud to say I nailed two of the three without looking up and was very close on the other one.) MLB – Tony LaRussa (17 seasons) . NBA – Gregg Popovich, Spurs (16 seasons). NFL - Andy Reid (11 seasons)



No comments:
Post a Comment