Earlier this month we went with Katie's family to a Carr family reunion at the Colter Bay cabins in Grand Teton National Park.
I was glad to meet more of the extended family I've married into. The vacation also verified a few universal truths about spending time in the outdoors:
1. Bugs .... bug.
Every night we waged war with the mosquitos. We won some battles - as evidenced by Katie's finger after taking out one of the buggers - but the mosquitos definitely won the war. Just ask the empty can of OFF! in the trash and my itchy legs.
2. Throwing rocks.... rocks.
Age is not a factor. Skill is not a requirement. As long as you can create a splash, you're qualified and capable of having a grand time.
3. Cards are a big deal.
You know you're playing with pros when it takes a half hour to define and debate the rules before starting, which makes the Carrs a family of Hall of Famers. I'm glad I have a wife who knows her way around a card table, but I wouldn't mind if she got lost once in a while either.
4. Balls make a great catch.
Kayaking would have been a fun activity on its own, but add the element of passing a football from one boat the the other and BAM!!!! Now we've really got something.
5. The worst thing that can happen on the water? Getting wet.
No picture for this one, but I find it ironic how uptight we all get when someone sprays us with water while we're surrounded by the stuff. It seems like something Jerry Seinfeld would have used as part of his standup routine.
Oh wait. He pretty much did.
Can't wait for Carr Reunion 2013!









You hope Katie gets lost??? What? haha.
ReplyDelete