***As most - if not all - of you already know, our son Caleb was born on Thursday a week ahead of schedule. A future post will soon be in the works about this blessed day, but I'm keeping my pre-determined blog schedule with this post.*****
As our little family enjoys our first Mother's Day with child in tow, it's time to look back at the memories that led up to Caleb's birth.
THE ANNOUNCEMENT.
Any time Katie wasn't feeling well and dealing with female "stuff," she would jokingly toss out the possible of pregnancy. And I took it as a joke. Until I noticed a white stick sitting in the garbage.
So after a few days in a row of hearing about female stuff, I had a pretty good idea what was coming the morning she pulled me out of bed and dragged me into the bathroom.
The news was in. The fun had begun. And by fun, I mean yakking. And by yakking, I mean complaining ….. err….. nausea.
THE NAUSEA.
Every pregnancy is different. Every woman has unique issues and handles them in her own way. But if there was one challenge to characterize Katie's pregnancy, I would say it was a nauseating one.
Once it became clear this nasty nausea was here to stay, we looked for distractions rather than solutions. In worst-to-first order of effectiveness, the winners were ….
Criminal Minds. Hotch and the rest of the FBI's Behavior Analysis Unit provided a new TV series to us with re-runs airing on at least 4 different channels. But over time it produced a new distraction for Katie: fear. Fear of abduction, fear of psychopaths, fear of the world we were bringing this child into. Not a healthy thought process for a mommy in training.
So we became good friends with the library and got our book on. Katie got a few recommendations and read about a dozen books including these in anticipation for their movies (the only two we've seen in theaters for the past nine months).
They were a good way to focus her energy elsewhere, and at times they put her mind at ease so she could sleep. The problem with these was longevity. Little Mrs. Preggers cruises through a book like her husband cruises through a half gallon of chocolate milk.
Turned out, the best way to sidestep the uneasy queasies was puzzles.
And more puzzles.
And more puzzles. I knew we were on to something when I came home from work one day to find the previous puzzle gone and a new one completed in its entirety. That meant Katie had spent about 4 hours that day at work and 4 hours knocking out “Washington DC”. This will certainly become one of those stories I tell my son about his mom's pregnancy.
THE FOOD / WATER.
Prior to pregnancy we’d eat out occasionally, but in about a three-week span we hit every joint within a 10 mile radius. A heartfelt golf clap to those establishments who kept Katie fed and Rob away from the stove top. Except for you, Panda Express, for providing the meal that pushed Katie over the edge for her one and only eye-level visit to the toilet.
Familiar tastes were iffy at times (Spaghetti, Asian and Thai food). Cooking smells didn't suit her (Eggs). And even just the sight of uncooked meat or chicken was tough at times too, which led to a few moments like this ....
As long as I’ve known Katie a bottle of the water has been her constant companion, so when water became a struggle to chug for a couple months it stressed her out and let the proverbial cat out of the bag before we hoped to do so. Thus, we looked for new options. Vitamin water won out for a few days. Gatorade had its 15 seconds of fame, but primarily it became a battle of juices.
THE SLEEP (OR LACK THEREOF)
I had no idea our trip to Disney World last year was just the tip of the iceberg for what was to come in terms of bathroom trips. Particularly at night. And when she wasn't getting up to go, she was sitting up to adjust the Pillow Pyramid. Oh the Pillow Pyramid.
If there was one positive for me about this fluffy monstrosity, it was the comfort it provided while I would rub Katie's back and feet. The Utah College of Massage Therapy offered me an honorary doctorate for my efforts over the past few months, but I didn't feel right receiving an award for something that was a simple labor of love :)
THE BABY PREP
Our boy is in good hands with his mom. If it were up to his dad, he would've had to get by with a fraction of the supplies we've collected. (A trash can and liners specifically for dirty diapers? Really?)
See that honkin' dresser (purchased with gift money). It's stocked to the brim with clothes, blankets, toys and other goodies thanks to incredibly generous and loving family and friends just like you. We can't thank you all enough for the showers, support, gifts and well wishes. Don't be surprised if you ever get a gift from us that comes in a familiar looking gift bag. You'd better believe I'm hanging on to those.
I knew my job for these nine months. Sit. Console. Listen. Obey. Zip the lip.
And I did. But given my out-and-about personality, I still forced her out of the house and into the public domain.
Days after “The Stick That Changed Our World” we were invited to go here….
and two weeks later we headed back to Provo for the BYU Homecoming Spectacular featuring this fellow…..
A fine idea for a birthday gift when the tickets were purchased, but not the “my husband is the best” moment I was targeting. If there’s any possibility of another pregnancy next year, I’ll skip the tickets and splurge on the DVD. It should also be noted here that riding in a car is a necessary evil for Katie. Add me as the driver and it gets even more dicey. Add freeway construction and it becomes a nightmare. Add rainy weather and it becomes heart-attack inducing. Add pregnancy and it becomes torture.
Fortunately Katie didn't hold a grudge for too long, as evidenced by her Christmas gift to me ....
Hey Brian Regan, tell me the one about Little League again.
And we made it to our annual Jazz-Suns game, courtesy of The Rose Shop (call 801-501-ROSE and ask for Lance Larkin), to see our two favorite NBA players ....
Which gives me confidence that in a few months she'll enjoy my Christmas gift to her.
Pregnancy, a nine-month tradition unlike any other.










Oh Rob - let me tell you, I thought the diaper pail was not necessary either. Our trash has a lid and for the really bad ones, the outside trash is not that far away. After about 3 months (when the diapers got stinkier) a special trash can was necessary. TRUST ME! Those little bodies can really stink up a room.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on the cute little guy. Heard a little about all that went down from Gma today but I look forward to reading your version. Glad all are healthy. Hope to meet Caleb soon!
I think this post needs to win a blogging award. So happy for you! And I have a special little something for Caleb. Wanna email me your new address since it seems you have moved!? Also, we will be in Utah for a whole week at the end of the month. Not sure if you want visitors with the new baby and all, but we are moving to Philadelphia at the end of July and would love to see you guys before we go!
ReplyDeleteToo funny!! Your posts are always so clever and witty. I showed Kyle and he especially loved, "pregnancy - a nine month tradition like any other" Thanks for sharing! Hope everything is going well for you three!
ReplyDeleteYes, really, the trash can and liners are a must. Just wait until the solids start @ 6 mo. You've got your job right Rob... but I would add, bring home the bacon and schlep the stuff. You guys are doing awesome!
ReplyDeleteThe George Foreman grill on the balcony killed me.
ReplyDelete